Monday 27 February 2012

The Oscars: Dresses of the night


The Oscars is where film and fashion collide and my oh my, the Oscars certainly caused a bang!  For most fashion designers the Oscars red carpet is the world’s biggest runway and didn't those celebrities walk it well. The awards have always separated the fashionistas from the pretenders to the throne and this year does not disappoint!


Fashion giants Elie Saab and Marchesa undoubtedly ruled the runway with their beautiful gowns. I absolutely loved the diversity and style shown and we could be here all day as I swoon over the dresses. I have chosen people who chose to be noticed and in my opinion where not afraid to make a statement.


I know everyone does a top 10 but I am doing a top 7 - so there.


So lets talk fashion favourites  folks!



Via Getty Images


Tried and tested
So to me this is classic Jennifer. She had her Latina glow happening and curves wrapped in a deceptively simple Zuhair Murad dress. perhaps not wrapped tightly enough as she managed a nip slip! Although it isn't the most adventurous choice, she knows what works for and she looks great. 




Via Getty Images












Flowing fuchsia
Now I do love a ginger toned red head that can pull of a pink dress with aplomb! I like Emma Stone she has a lovely goofy girl next door quality that really shines through. Emma kept it young, fresh faced and sophisticated in a gorgeous Giambattista Valli dress.  




Via Getty Images





Green Goddess
Viola Davis just glowed in this beautiful Vera Wang dress. Her use of simple jewellery really enhanced the dresses embellishments and she showed just enough décolletage to hint at sexiness whilst keeping it sophisticated. I have to say I am really loving her baby TWA afro too!







Via Getty Images










Risky business 
Gwyneth Paltrow totally stood alone in this white, futuristic, minimal, yet some how edgy Tom ford cape dress. We don’t often see Gwyneth taking chances and it was nice to see her in something different. 




Getty Images





All that glitters
Octavia Spencer won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress and absolutely shimmered and shone in this beautiful white Tadashi Shoji ensemble. This dress was perfect for her figure and simply glittered when she made her acceptance speech. 





Via Getty Images









Mack daddy McQueen
The hand embroidery on this bespoke dress is classic Alexander McQueen. The bodice and hem detailing give this dress the pop of colour it needs. Although dripping in 2 million dollars worth of Harry Winston diamonds, Jessica Chastain let the dress do all the work keeping her make up simple and her hair had a  laid back, soft tousled look.




Via Getty Images











Pale and Interesting
Mara Rooney is truly having a moment! Well known for her extremely monochromatic look, she didn’t disappoint. Her couture alabaster Givenchy gown was a flowing concoction of  tulle, plunges, body-con and frills. With the dresses architectural design she looked like a gothic earthbound sylph. Coupled with her severely blunt fringe and a slash of dark red lipstick Miss Mara truly tapped into the niche of alternative Hollywood starlet.




Many have said that this year was not one to remember as it was so predictable in regards the winners and nomination. I am more of the opinion that some years it is more important to have a old school civilised gathering, where people are honoured for the work they have done instead of waiting with baited breath for someone to rebel and cause havoc.

If we seek to be avant garde in the extreme all the time those special and unscripted moments will pass us by with out recognition.

Have a great week and look out for my next post.





Smooches
Stephanie aka Wednesdays Girl
xoxo




Don't forget to come find me and    

5 comments:

  1. I loved JLo's dress! She looks great! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful. Thank you for taking an interest and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I did my spill on my blog as well regarding the Oscar dresses. But I loved
    Gwen's cape, Octavia's dress and Viola's Vera Wang with her natural hair to boot.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I can comment!!!! Well Wednesdays Girl I am your number 1 fan :)! Keep up the good work!

    KupKaKes XXXXX

    ReplyDelete